Monday, September 21, 2009

Nessie


Today I ventured into a land where hills become mountains with only lochs and trains breaking through their domain. There is no question why this land is considered mysterious with legends of a monstrous sea creature and weather that speaks to the traveller in different shades of grey. A fierce wind started my journey out onto the Loch Ness. Our boat (proudly called a cruise liner by its two man crew) came equipped with sonar detector to spot any underwater goings on of the creature the locals have dubbed "Nessie". Our group consisted of about 30 people of varying nationalities all either in search of the monster or just curious as to what all the fuss was about. We first travelled through the Caledonian Canal passing it seemed ceremoniously throgh a lock system to enter the famous and erie Loch Ness.

I remember learning about the Loch Ness Monster in a GT class during 2nd grade. I was filled with wonder over this idea and knew with no uncertainty that if I were ever to travel to Scotland the monster would raise his head above the surface if for no one else, then for me, a true believer. Over time my commitment to this belief faltered as they do for all the things we hold true during childhood. Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the (while probably most unlikely) Tooth Fairy all occupy tombs in the graveyard of my lost childhood beliefs. I think the world loses that magic that we see it with as a child when we learn these ideas couldn't possibly be real. I think this is a magic that once lost, is near impossible to recapture. The closest I have gotten to that fantastical view of things is watching these adults from all over the word stare hungrily into the waters.

The Loch Ness set the scene perfectly for us today. There was a deep chill in the wind and we hit the waves in the loch at such force it drove all the hopeful watchers into the interior as water sprayed over the top deck. Nessie did not make her much desired appearance. While I don't think anyone thought she would there was a glum air on the bus ride home as the driver spoke about the people who had seen the monster and with what certainty they said it existed. So, does the monster actually exist? Maybe, but probably not. What I do know is this, that everyday at about 3:00pm you can find about 30 fully functioning adults hoping to see what they know shouldn't exist and in this world where we tend so much towards cynicism I think recapturing that childhood feeling of irrational belief is a magical enough thing in itself.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should keep writing Katie, you weave such a story that I almost can taste the spray of the water and feel the disappointment of the group. What a journey!

    ReplyDelete